The Everyday Life of a Working Artist

Pages

Attention! My blog is moving to my website in early January 2016. If you are receiving daily emails about this blog you will continue to receive them after the switch. Until then, you might want to head on over to my new blog here!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

All Artists Need to be Square ... Like Me! SOLD

Pin It
"Three to Sail"
Oil, 6" x 6" 
Sold.


Good news ... if you are an artist and you have always wanted to be able to accept credit cards without the hassle of setting up a merchant bank account ... the solution is finally here. "Square Up" is a relatively new gadget that works with the iphone, ipad and Android. It's very easy to get as all you have to do is sign up online. There are no set up fees, credit checks or agreements to sign. You just sign up and link it to your bank account. They even send you the "reader" gadget for free that plugs in to your phone.
It's actually cheaper than paypal if you physically swipe the card (2.75%). It's a half percentage more if you enter the credit card number manually. And the money is deposited directly in to your bank account, less the transaction fee. So, why do artists need these?
Well ... you can finally accept credit cards ... on the go. You can use it at an art fair,  a collector's house ... or even at a workshop. Think of all those times you could have made a sale ... only if you were able to accept credit cards. Well, now you can. And pretty simply at that!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I've seen this on TV! I'd love to have it...first I need an iphone though...

Carrie said...

That is so awesome Leslie!!! Thanks for sharing the info, since I just got an iphone this is excellent news:) Love the painting also. Gorgeous colors!!! When I read the title of your post I thought it was about the 6x6 show. Can't believe Randy Higbee has to cut 800 paintings, eeeck!

Marian Fortunati said...

GREAT tip!!!
Is it really cheaper than PayPal, though???

So clever, Leslie. What are the drawbacks??? Does it work JUST like scanning a credit card?

Robie Benve said...

Another great painting Leslie! Thanks for sharing and being an inspiration.
And thank you for the Square advice. When I get the quality and the quality to start selling, I'll sure remember your tip - and maybe by then I'll get a smart phone too! :)

Leslie Saeta said...

Carrie - thanks so much for your comment. I thought my "squared" title would be timely and might get some attention due to Randy's show. But this "gadget" is one of my favorite new tips. Let's hope it helps some artists out there!

Leslie Saeta said...

Marian - It really is cheaper, as long as you use it and actually swipe the card with the "reader". I haven't figured outt he drawbacks yet. Although if the card turns out to be a fraud then I bet there are less precautions than are available with Paypal. Just a hunch.
But since it's free, why not try it out? I will be using it at the Balboa Art Show for sure!
And you do just swipe the card through the little white scanner they send you for free.

Steve PP said...

What a great gizmo, Leslie!
I sell my paintings from a street stall in the Summer, that doesn't have any electric.
Now I just need to get an i-phone!
Thanks for sharing!

Marian Fortunati said...

Great tip Leslie... You always ARE on the forefront with these gadgets... does that make you "square"???
I can't wait to see how it works out at the Balboa show!!

I'm going to forward this to a friend who does some shows too.

FasiArts said...

Some additional resources -

Intuit - http://gopayment.com/
When you swipe a card, it usually costs 2.7% of the transaction, plus 15 cents.
If you accept a lot of transactions, they also have a pricing plan specifically designed for you.
Devices - iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry (Bold, Curve, Tour)
Visa, MasteCard, AE, Discovery

http://www.merchantanywhere.com/
Merchant Accounts with a Flat Monthly Rate - $24.95
Swipe or key credit cards on your PDA or PC
(1.69% swiped or 2.2% keyed and 30¢ per transaction)
Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, Pocket PC, Web OS, Palm OS
The monthly rate can be a bit steep, but it works with more devices.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Thank YOU!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Thank YOU!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails