The Everyday Life of a Working Artist

Pages

Attention! My blog is moving to my website in early January 2016. If you are receiving daily emails about this blog you will continue to receive them after the switch. Until then, you might want to head on over to my new blog here!

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Olympic Dreams

Pin It
"Whistler II"
Oil on canvas panel.
$350.00 framed

I painted this painting a while ago and it seemed like a good one to post after watching the Opening Ceremonies last night. I am a HUGE fan of the Olympics and as a kid I always dreamed of swimming in the Olympics. Of course I had absolutely no chance of fulfilling that dream but thirty years later I came close when we were able to watch my son compete at the Olympic Trials (in swimming). The Olympic Trials were the single best sporting event I have attended in my lifetime.
Although yesterday's Opening Ceremonies were clouded with tragedy, just watching the hopeful expressions of the athletes and knowing what they had to accomplish to get there was amazing. Many years of determination, hard work and dedication all come down to what happens in the next two weeks. There is one thing about the Winter Games that I don't like ... too many of the events can result in defeat with a mere fall ... skiing, figure skating, speed skating, snowboarding, ski jumping, etc. In one second, with a mere slip in concentration, the most talented athlete can be out of the Olympics.
Whereas in the Summer Games it is highly unlikely that the fastest swimmer or runner is going to fall (or dive in the water and hit their head on the bottom of the pool!). Usually the most talented athlete finishes on the podium. But with the Winter Games, it's different ... there are too many chances for the great ones to falter. Perhaps that is what makes the Winter Olympics so wonderful. You never know what might happen ...

10 comments:

Ann Rogers said...

Wonderful and so full of action, movement, and color, just like the Olympics! Lovely tribute!

Karen Bruson said...

Leslie,
Beautiful painting and very appropriate for Olympic season. Great colors.

Art with Liz said...

Definitely one of my favourite paintings Leslie! Even though it's as hot as anything here, we are still lucky enough to get most of the Winter Olympic events - comes of living in a sports mad country!

Shirley Peters said...

Great painting, and I agree with your sentiment. The Olympic games are the ultimate in "Reality TV". I find myself in tears, watching the joy of the winners and the angst of the losers... and I think of their families, and friends and community at their homes, watching on TV at 2 in the morning... so thrilling.

(But with condolences to that poor boy who lost his life so young... there are no words for that..)

RH Carpenter said...

You really captured the excitement, movement, and light.

Gary Keimig said...

Great painterly look. Love the blues. Just goes with this piece.
Was a real tragedy for opening the Olympics. Watched last night and was really moved by the seemingly caring for one another even in competition that I witnessed with those wonderful athletes.

Anonymous said...

brrr...just feel the cold. well done!

Tammy Hext said...

I can feel the cold too - awesome piece.
Leslie - I have awarded you the the Sunshine blog award. Drop by my blog to collect.
Happy painting.

Marian Fortunati said...

Leslie... this is among my favorite of yours...

WONDERFUL work, as always and a great and thoughtful post! I too hate it when watching people who have pour their hearts souls and bodies into practice for YEARS, stumble in the exact wrong moment. It makes me sad to watch. But they are amazing people with such courage and ambition... Wonderful to contemplate!

Mitzi Easley said...

An absolute stand-out, Leslie -- no surprise, there. Thank you for sharing your work and your thoughts with us. I love finding your newest in my inbox and so I’m giving you the Sunshine Award for creativity and positivity in blogging! Check out my blog if you would like to accept your award. Thanks!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails