The Everyday Life of a Working Artist

Pages

Attention! My blog is moving to my website in early January 2016. If you are receiving daily emails about this blog you will continue to receive them after the switch. Until then, you might want to head on over to my new blog here!

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Lazy Saturday Afternoon

Pin It
"Lazy Saturday Afternoon"
Oil, 6" x 6" on canvas panel.
$200 unframed.

You have got to love the name of this painting. It so clearly describes my day today. In fact it is a miracle that I actually finished a painting today ... it was just a wonderful day.

The highlight of my day was taking my son to visit his dear friend Jackson. He was injured in a football game on Halloween (as you may remember from my previous post). These past few weeks have been so scary ... brain surgery, weeks of intensive care, and his inability to speak and move his right side. And yet today ... only four weeks later ... I sat today in his hospital room as he laughed, talked and enjoyed a visit from six of his football teammates. For weeks we have all been watching and praying that he would gain movement to his right side. And sure enough, earlier this week we were visiting Jackson when he returned from rehab and moved both his right leg and arm for the first time. I cried (of course) and will always cherish that moment. Watching the pride in Jackson's face as he showed his mom and dad that he could finally move his right leg and arm is a moment I will always remember.

Today Jackson was talking, laughing and enjoying the afternoon visit. With rehab we now all believe that he might make a full recovery. Mentally, he remembers everything ... (including the football game). In fact, my son participated with Jackson in some of his rehab exercises and proudly announced that Jackson was beating him in many of the skill tests!

I think I was so happy and content after our visit with Jackson that any chance of being productive today was unlikely. So, we finished off the day watching football.

Today may have been a lazy Saturday afternoon but it was one that I will cherish forever.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie, what fabulous news...such a blessing when prayers are answered like that! Thanks for sharing. This painting really does reflect where I imagine you are...the serenity in the green...it is very soothing...and I have to say, the color choices and the composition make this one of my favorites (so far!)

Art with Liz said...

This is such a peaceful, tranquil painting Leslie. And it's always great to hear that someone injured in a football game (here it's rugby) makes a recovery.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Wonderful news about your son's friend a great Thanksgiving for his family.

Lovely painting :)

Sheila Vaughan said...

Leslie, lovely treatment of the reflections here and that green is so restful. Coupled with the vivacious brush strokes (or is it palette knife?) the whole thing has such a wonderful balance.

Dreama Tolle Perry said...

Leslie--what amazing wonderful news. This is a true Thanksgiving to remember for your family and his.
Love this painting--it does bespeak all things serene. Interesting how art does reflect our life.

Karen said...

That is a beautiful story, thanks for sharing that. And yes, it's impressive that you got some painting done too, and a good one at that! :)

Becky Brocato said...

and how amazing is that?! such a happy, feel-good message. thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails